According to Wikipedia, “Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the quality and quantity of website traffic to a website or a web page from search engines.” However, search engine optimization techniques can do more harm than good, and these should be avoided if possible. Search engine optimization with “Black Hat” is usually defined as techniques used to get higher search rankings in an unethical way. The SEO techniques of these black hats typically include one or more of the following characteristics:
- violates search engine rules and regulations
- creates a bad user experience directly due to the SEO techniques used on the website
- Presents unethical content in a different visual or non-visual way to search engine spiders and search engine users.
- Aggressive link building where you pay for links.
- Website redirects.
- Hacking websites to get a link.
- Unnatural link profiles.
- Cloaking, i.e. pages that show one version for the users and another for the search engine.
- Comment spamming.
- Keyword stuffing.
- Scraping content to publish on their own sites.
- Unnatural use of Rich Snippets.
- Spin contents.
Many of the so-called black hat SEOs are actually considered legitimate search engine optimization methodologies, but now these techniques are frozen by the general SEO community as a whole, as they were shown over time to be detrimental to the quality of the site and the relevance of search results in general. These black hat SEO methods will actually provide short-term gains in terms of rankings, but if website owners are found to take advantage of these negative techniques on their websites, they risk being penalized by search engines, which can significantly affect traffic and ranking in search engine results. This type of SEO is basically a short-term solution to a long-term problem.
SEO techniques to avoid
- Keyword Filling: Packing long lists of keywords and nothing else on a website will cause the website to be penalized eventually by search engines and considered keyword stuffing.
- Invisible text: Invisible text is what it sounds like; Basically, this technique involves creating lists of keywords in white font on a white background in hopes of attracting more search engines. This is not a good way to attract searchers or crawlers and create a bad user experience for site visitors.
- Door sides: A door opening side is basically a “fake” side that the user will never see. It is clean of spiders in search engines and tries to trick the search engines to index the site higher.
- Avoid Craigslist harvesting: Various SEO practitioners know that their businesses cannot survive online without robust and powerful search engine optimization techniques. Craigslist seems like an ideal target, but it’s not like you’re targeting it because you could lose your reputation on the internet. Hundreds of thousands of pages are indexed every day, and search engines can quickly understand who is targeting craigslist. You shouldn’t forget that craigslist has a dedicated team of lawyers who are there to resolve any legal issues, so you should avoid targeting them.
- Do not buy mailing lists: Many people who are engaged in black hat SEO purchases email lists from various sellers and marketplaces. Trust me, this is not a good practice and can ruin your site on the internet. Therefore, it is essential to avoid buying the mailing lists even if their costs are cheap. Instead, it would help if you enticed people to sign up for your newsletters and updates legally. Whether you run a small or large business, you should not buy emails for email marketing from unknown sources. Instead, you should create your own lists and send emails to your customers and businesses one by one.
- Do not be tricky: Always remember that there is no shortcut to success. So don’t try to be tricky on the internet because search engines can easily catch you. Instead, you should choose white hat strategies to increase your number of subscribers through legal and legitimate sources by driving traffic to your website.
Unethical, shady or just over the line SEO is tempting; after all, these tricks actually work, temporarily. You should never forget that black hat marketing only works for a few days. But with that, you can not generate any potential customers and can not earn much on your online business. Black hat marketing techniques are not reliable and can not guarantee success. Thats why you should pay attention to white hat marketing and social media marketing. It will take some time, but the results are excellent and for a lifetime. Both small and large companies must choose white techniques, and you should never cross the black hat line if you do not want to be penalized online.